National Bank Platinum Credit Card is a mid-range card from National Bank that has a modest annual fee of $89 for what this card has to offer. It comes with an extensive array of rewards and benefits. Similar to the high-end card of National Bank, it features a comprehensive travel insurance package. Several travel insurance features go above and beyond what most Canadian cards have to offer.
Several insurance features that make it stand out are:
- Solid Trip Interruption coverage of $2,500 per insured person.
- Travel Medical Insurance with maximal coverage of $5,000,000 covers insured persons aged 75 and under for 10-days trips.
- Also, the presence of Trip Cancellation Insurance is great though it could offer slightly higher coverage. The maximum coverage today is up to $1,250 per insured person.
As for travel insurance weaknesses - this card does not have many of them:
- Travel Medical Insurance does not cover people aged 76 or older. But that is very common for most cards. In fact, many of them have senior age cut off at 65 years.
- No Burglary Insurance protection and no Common Carrier Accident coverage
This card has many other useful projection elements for travellers such as Rental Car Insurance, Flight Delay coverage of $500 per person (based on 4 hours delay), Baggage Loss and Delay protection.
Summarizing that all together, National Bank Platinum Master Card is a solid card for Canadian travellers who do not want to pay a high annual card fee. This card offers protection that is more extensive than many other similarly priced credit cards today.
About the Authour: Alex is an InsurEye team member who is heavily focused on credit cards and the assessment of travel insurance features. He has extensive knowledge of most Canadian credit cards including main banks, credit unions, and other financial services organizations. His insights have been featured in such Canadian media outlets as Globe and Mail, Money Sense, Toronto Star, and many others.