Home Insurance | Quotes, Rate Comparison, Insurance Tips

Choose your province

5 Reasons to Get a Home Insurance Quote
  • Invest several minutes to save up to $200 per year
  • Get a free, no-obligation quote
  • Find out if you are overpaying today
  • Customize your insurance protection as you want
  • Talk to a live agent if you have questions to your quote
Home Insurance

Home insurance guide: Intro

Welcome to your home insurance guide. Typically, home insurance can be divided into several categories:

Home or house insurance
Tenant’s (or renter’s) insurance
Condo insurance protection
Seasonal property (or cottage) insurance protection

These categories differ by the type of coverage included and, typically, by the level of insurance premiums. Complete the quote and find out how much you can save.

Some home elements result in higher insurance costs. Discover all of them.

Have you ever wondered why home insurance costs vary so widely? When searching for home insurance, a number of factors can increase your home insurance costs, from those related to the building to those outside the house.

Here is the full list of these elements:

  1. Expensive items, e.g. jewelry, furs, etc.
  2. Swimming pools
  3. Fireplace or woodstove
  4. Oil-based heating
  5. Business assets
  6. Operating a business from home
  7. Aluminum wiring, e.g. in older homes
  8. Knob and tube wiring, e.g. in very old homes
  9. Old, non-maintained house elements
  10. Older plumbing: based on galvanized or lead pipes
  11. Some roof types, e.g. wood shake or shingles
  12. Wooden building frame
  13. Finished basement
  14. Garden with trees

Are you interested in seeing if you can get cheap home insurance? Get a quote; it only takes 5 minutes.

Tenant and condo insurance: what you must know

Are you a condo owner? In Canada, there are two different insurance policies involved in condo protection:

  1. Condo insurance for homeowners covers contents, upgrades, third-party liability, theft, locker contents, additional living expenses, and special insurance assessments.
  2. Commercial condo insurance is purchased by the condo owner; it covers the building’s exterior, roof, infrastructure, and any common areas (elevators, lobby, halls, etc.)

Which policy do you need if you rent a condo in Canada? Condo tenant insurance covers your contents (should they be damaged through fire, theft, etc.), third party liability, and additional living expenses (the costs of the hotel room or rental unit you would need to stay in if the condo unit you were renting became unliveable (due to fire, flooding, etc.).

The overview below will help you understand what each insurance policy covers.

Here is an overview of elements covered by a typical condo insurance policy:

  1. Condo unit upgrades, e.g. hardwood floors, new cabinets, etc.
  2. Condo contents, e.g. any of your personal items, such as electronics, clothes, etc.
  3. Third-party liability, e.g. if you flood your neighbours beneath you.
  4. Theft from your condo unit, e.g. after a break-in
  5. Your locker’s content, e.g. any items you stored there that have been stolen.
  6. Special insurance assessments, e.g. passed to you by your condo corporation if their policy did not have enough coverage.

Do you know how to save on condo insurance? Get a quote—it only takes 5 minutes.

What are typical home insurance rates in Canada?

As is shown in the chart above, which outlines the average home insurance premiums for rented and owned property across Canada and in Alberta, insurance rates are typically lower for renters than they are homeowners’ premiums. Here’s why:

Renter’s insurance (also called tenant insurance) typically covers the content of your rented property, and it sometimes also covers liability. The building itself is not covered because it should be covered by the homeowner’s property insurance.

A homeowner’s policy covers the building, and thus covers the risks associated with that property, including earthquake, fire, theft, etc.

It is important to note that your insurance covers the rebuild value—not the market value. The rebuild value is often lower than the market value, but should something happen, the insurance company covers the costs required to rebuild an equivalent home.

Home insurance and flooding – what you must know.

Nearly 50% of all home insurance claims in Canada are related to water damage and flooding, thus it is crucially important to understand this type of risk.

From an insurance company’s perspective, there are four types of flooding that can occur in Canada. Some are more likely to happen than others, and that means your insurance company is going to handle each of them differently. Knowing how each one is treated enables you to properly protect yourself—and your dwelling.

Take a look at the four different types of flooding that are listed below.

Here are the four main flooding types you should know about:

  1. Overland flooding: originates outside of your home; typically, you would need an additional overland water endorsement to cover this risk.
  2. Sewer backup: originates in your home when water enters your home, e.g. via a toilet or sewage. You would typically need an additional sewer backup endorsement to cover this risk.
  3. Plumbing issues: originate inside your home and are typically covered by a standard home insurance policy.
  4. Leaking roof: originates on the roof / in the attic and is often not covered if it occurs due to insufficient maintenance. If the same issue results from stormy weather, it might be covered.

Get home insurance to protect your home against flooding so you can stay dry.

How can you save on home insurance?

  • Pipes: Insurers prefer copper or plastic plumbing. Consider upgrading your galvanized/lead pipes during your next renovation cycle.
  • Renovations: Renovating your house can result in lower home insurance premiums because home insurance premiums for older, poorly maintained homes are usually higher. Also, updating only parts of your house, such as the basement or kitchen, may lead to savings on your insurance.
  • Professional Memberships: Are you a member of a professional organization, such as Certified Management Accountants of Canada? Some companies offer discounts to professional members, and some organizations offer their members insurance policies.
  • Stop smoking: Some insurers increase their premiums for homes with smokers since smoking adds an increased risk of fire.
  • Claims-free discount: You can be rewarded for being claim free. Terms and conditions vary, and not all insurers offer this discount, so ask around if you have been claim free for a long time.
  • Alumni: Graduates from some Canadian universities, such as University of Toronto and McGill University, may qualify for a discount through select providers.
  • Avoid living in dangerous locations: Steer clear of buying a house in earthquake or flood-prone zones.

Interested in more saving tips for home insurance? Get an insurance quote below and connect with an experienced insurance professional to get more tips.

Our Publications related to Home Insurance

How Much a Good Condo View is Worth Today?

How Much a Good Condo View is Worth Today?

A prospective buyer is always going to be focused on a condo unit’s view. Unlike a house, these units rarely have multiple windows to the outside in various directions. The exterior wall, which usually is either glass or contains a balcony, is likely the only point of contact with the natural world.[...]
Own your home? You could be eligible for these tax credits and rebates

Own your home? You could be eligible for these tax credits and rebates

It’s no secret that property prices in many urban areas of Canada are on fire. And it’s not limited to just the core of Toronto and Vancouver. Houses for sale in Hamilton, for example, have doubled in price in the last decade and houses in Mississauga are almost $750,000. It’s increasingly hard for [...]
How Competitive is it to Buy a Home in Toronto? INFOGRAPHIC

How Competitive is it to Buy a Home in Toronto? INFOGRAPHIC

Toronto real estate has been tumultuous in the last few years. At first, everything was going, up, up and up. Record low-interest rates made huge mortgages more attractive, and few new suburbs were developed thanks to the Greenbelt. Almost 90, 000 Newcomers were moving to Toronto each year, along wi[...]
Canadian Condo Review Platform CondoEssentials Launched

Canadian Condo Review Platform CondoEssentials Launched

InsurEye Inc has announced the launch of a new website: CondoEssentials. The new site is a condo review platform that has been designed to better inform Canadians about real estate, with a particular emphasis on condominiums. InsurEye has been informing consumers about details of auto, life and c[...]
Ten Tips for Selling Your Home in January

Ten Tips for Selling Your Home in January

Is a new job or another factor making you fret about the need to sell your home in January? Save your emotional energy for a good marketing plan, a good sales agent and your unleashing of optimism. Real estate sources note that nowadays fewer bad times to sell exist in major city markets. While ackn[...]

magnifier  Home Insurance by Province
Home Insurance in AlbertaHome Insurance in British ColumbiaHome Insurance in Manitoba
Home Insurance in OntarioHome Insurance in Saskatchewan

5 Reasons to Get a Home Insurance Quote
  • Invest several minutes to save up to $200 per year
  • Get a free, no-obligation quote
  • Customize your insurance protection as you want
  • Protect your property and your family
  • Talk to a live agent if you have questions to your quote