Want to find an insurance broker in Saskatchewan?
You can save hundreds of dollars on insurance in Saskatchewan when you use a broker to customize your policy. We can help you with a cheap home insurance quote to start saving on home insurance.
Most large-scale natural disasters are rarely seen in Saskatchewan, resulting in fewer natural risks (no earthquakes like in BC or QC, or extensive floods like in ON or AB).
Life insurance in Saskatchewan depends mainly on your health, age, if you smoke and a number of other personal factors. They do not depend on location, but we suggest you use an experienced insurance broker. Brokers compare the market with multiple providers for you so you can get tailored coverage. This is especially important if you want to get an affordable life insurance quote when you have health pre-conditions.
Car insurance in Saskatchewan is provided by crown corporation SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance).
SK Car Insurance – key
things to know
Average car insurance rate in SK:
~ $87 / month
~ $240 / month
Car insurance is mandatory in Saskatchewan and is only offered through SGI, a crown corporation.
Saskatchewan car insurance rates are not as high as in Ontario, but they still add up to a around $87 per month ($1,044/year).
You can minimize your car insurance rates in Saskatchewan by:
- Living close to work. The less you have to drive, the better.
- Parking in a secure area, like a garage.
- Choosing a car make and a model that underwriters prefer – not one that is prone to theft and breakdowns.
- Making sure that you maintain a good driving record.
All Saskatchewan residents have no fault coverage unless they decide to go with tort coverage.
If somebody else is responsible for a collision, you cannot sue them if you have chosen no fault coverage. If you went with tort coverage, then you can sue the other party for pain, suffering and additional expenses.
Insurance and Regulation in SK
Car insurance in Saskatchewan is overseen by SGI – Saskatchewan Government Insurance.
SK Home Insurance – key
things to know
Average home insurance rate in SK:
~ $67 / month
$23 / month
In Saskatchewan, you will pay an average of $67 per month in homeowners insurance and $23 per month in renters insurance (also called tenants insurance).
Other things to know
- Overland flooding: is not covered by most underwriters. Overland flooding occurs when water from rising river levels, excess rain, melting snow, etc., enters you home. If you are in a flood-prone zone, look into an overland flooding rider.
- Sewer backup: is not typically covered by your insurance policy. Install a backup valve and strongly consider an inexpensive rider.
SK Life Insurance – key
things to know
Average life insurance rate*:
~ $55 / month
~ $80 / month
*for coverage of $500K-$1M
There are four different types of life insurance, and the best one for you depends on your health, hobbies and occupation.
If you have a question, want to connect in person or simply want to get a free life insurance quote, our partner brokers are happy to help you.
- Traditional life insurance: always has the lowest rate, but to qualify you must pass a medical exam and answer a long questionnaire.
- Rated traditional life insurance: is a traditional life insurance policy with a higher premium to cover health risks, such as diabetes.
- Guaranteed issue no medical life insurance: has no medical exam or questions. Everyone can qualify, but this policy has the highest premium and lowest benefit. If you pass away within the first two years of the policy, your premiums (in whole or in part depending on the policy) are returned to your beneficiaries.
- Simplified issue no medical life insurance: If your health does not allow you to qualify for traditional or rated insurance, you can skip the medical exam, answer a shorter question list and apply for simplified issue no medical insurance. The coverage is lower and the premiums are higher than traditionally or rated policies, but it is still affordable coverage for your needs. This is a popular choice among seniors.