Very impolite and terrible customer service. Never try Personal that is a trap. The agents are very rude and disrespectful. Giving you the wrong information for the quote and they are not responsive.
The Personal Insurance Auto Insurance Reviews
Cheap Car Insurance?
- Rates from 20+ insurers
- Stop overpaying today
- Save over $500 annually
FilterMost helpfull reviews
Are you interested in?
Absolutely ridiculous! I have been waiting to fix my car for 5 months and I have not heard back from them. I have called them like a million times and they always transfer me and go straight to voice mail. It is a money grab with no ethics or no concern for their customers, stay away at all costs!
Got a letter from them on April 8, 2022, stating that special discount for the armed forces. So today I obtained the quote for my own insurance and got a ridiculous quote of $164 per month for a 2012 Acura TL used for pleasure only i.e. not for work. I called to get a quote for the additional 3 drivers in the family, I was quoted $ 243. My current insurance is $143. I am mesmerized by how can they use Armed forces time like this. I request Paul Douglas, VP of The Personal to look into and stop sending such letters to the Canadian Armed Forces as it is the worse teamwork and potential customer experience.
If you have a good driving record in AB, you should pay around $110/month (women - $105/month and men - $113/month). Do you overpay? Get an Alberta car insurance quote to start saving.
I had my car, motorcycle, and home insurance with them for 5 years back in 2018. I get my renewal and the prices for all coverages have gone up by an average of 25%. The agent on the phone actually sounded embarrassed when she said it was due to forest fires and hurricanes in the States. I could tell she was given that line to tell people and she wasn't comfortably lying to people. I think this is just another company banking on people being too lazy to look around and jump ship. It pays to be a fickle consumer.
In the Army/RCMP? Your insurance is instantly cancelled if you get a ticket.
The title says it all folks. Been with these guys for 3 years. They claim they do discounts for active members. (6+ years active myself). Aside from me thinking I was getting a discount, (30 y/o paying 3600/y) [no accidents, priors] on a 2012 Honda Civic (nonetheless). I got a ticket this year - a minor infraction... They cancelled my collision/comprehensive - and left 3rd party on for $92/month. Thanked me for being a loyal customer...
My car hit a deer's leg and the car was sitting in a highway ditch for 48 hours then it was towed to the Bodyshop. They denied my claim and refuse to pay me for car repair. The reason is a joke, they believe there is no animal's hair or blood on the car. Imagine who can animal's hair survive on a 200km two truck trip with a speed of 110km/h?
I told them you can ask the firefighter who is at the scene and I had a witness who sit in the car also and saw my car hit the deer, all these are followed into deaf ears. It ended up I have to face a total of $24000 car repair costs. I wonder is there any regulation party that can watch their decision.
The adjuster is also a disaster. She will never answer your call during business hours. She will never reply to your email and will only call you when they have a decision.
Did you know that on average Ontario drivers with good driving records pay $1,805/year in auto insurance? Is your insurance rate higher? Get a free car insurance quote and start saving today.
I contacted them regarding a new quote. The first quote they gave me was a really good price. But they needed a few more details and so I called them back. Every time I call them the price increases with the same detail. They promise a price but change it with every call. When you ask them why their agents started yelling. Threatening that they do not have to give me insurance. (One of the agents' names was Max stay away from him). I got quotes from their competitors too and the best part was. When I called to confirm my policy; they pulled my report and told me that they would have to increase my premium than originally quoted due to some information on the auto plus report. The next day I called another company and they pulled my insurance record from the same company but that had different information than what personnel told me. Not only did they give me the wrong price/quote but disrespected me over the phone and intimidated me as a client. Would not do business at all with them. Be careful.
I've had many car insurance companies over many years, this is one of the best ones I've had. Competitive rates, easy-to-understand documents, questions answered quickly, staff know the products they sell, always responsive when making updates or changes to policies. I had a no-fault claim (vehicle hit by other drivers, their fault) and the claim was settled quickly and efficiently, I was given a rental car while my vehicle was in the repair shop, and all parts were OEM parts, not aftermarket. They also give good discounts on other policies you may have with them such as home insurance and RV insurance, which I have. I am very satisfied with those policies as well.
1. Applied for home and auto coverage, over the phone. The Agent used my branch's fax number, which he got on his own somewhere - not from me. as my chequing account number: Fail 1.
2. Insurance company agent after my call replaced that with my chequing account number, which I repeated and he recited perfectly: well, he sent in an imperfect number with 7 correct digits and 1 wrong one. Fail 2.
3. I was never consulted so knew none of Fail 2. In Dec., I got 7 letters in 10 days, 6 on 1 day, 4 that day had different pre-authorized payment figures for same policy; and 2 said policies were cancelled, 2 others sent within an hour of the others said cancelling was a mistake and policies were fine. 4 different authorization figures, 2 cancellations. 2 Renewals. 0 explanations. Fails 3 to 10.
4. Before a day had passed since the gaggle of mails. I called and the company said all was fine, numbers were fine, no problem - and, the corker, if more than 1 of the 4 assorted amounts were taken, I could check to see and just call back, and this would be returned at once. I called my bank and they said nothing got paid, the insurer had the wrong "transit" number. Fail 11.
5. 1 Feb., 4 months into the circus, the insurer called to inquire about Fail 11, and after 40 minutes, she tried a 3-way call, insurer, my bank, and me - which my bank says is not allowed with online banking. Now it was my job to check with my bank and then to see whether the insurer had things correct. That ate another hour. Fail 12.
6. Never did they call me back. I was back in the dark about (a) whether the insurer had the right transit and account number for CIBC, and (b) how much and how many payments had been authorized and/or sent. Fail 13.
7. So I surrendered. My bank was told the insurer had finished filing and been paid this same day. Hadn't they called me? Oh. I replied that I'd call the insurer to find out (a) and (b). My bank said that my decision should get me the answers I needed. Fail 14.
8. While on hold for many minutes, I tried to check my chequing account online to find out what of the 4 billings sent on the same day had been taken - but my online bank said they need an 8-digit account #, but my insurer only issued 7 digit account numbers. So I could not find out whether 2XX, 3XX, 19XX, or 21XX had been requested by that insurer - or all 3! - and w/o a personal call to Personal by me, the info apparently would never be known to me online, at least Fail 15.
8. 2.3 hours since my first call today, the insurer said the unaccountably brief digit count didn't count, no matter that my bank said it would not allow online registration for ANY 7 digit account numbers, least of all, I assumed, for an insurer, it had unceremoniously dropped after many buffs supporting it for CIBC customers. Fail 16.
My Resolution: I am moving home and car this month before the next Personal withdrawal date, and blasting CIBC for sending this nincompoopish company's name to me by mail, email, and investment advisor - then dropping it w/o a single word by email, mail, or call. The faulty transit number? I called Toronto and this was fixed by CIBC in, literally, 20 seconds. Getting should have never been a problem for a trained selling agent 11 weeks ago when he used a bank branch's FAX number instead of my chequing account number. 16 Fails, 11 weeks.
I am so out of here, as youngsters say.
I was with the Personal for 2 years with no accidents or tickets. They decided that I needed to pay the full year upfront or my insurance would be cut. So, I cancelled my policy and went with another company. I was charged almost 1k in fees for cancelling and they won't do anything for me. I was told the fees would be around 400 but I was willing to take that hit. I was not willing to take a 1k hit. Stay away from them. They are liars