Home Insurance Calgary: Intro
Welcome to your Home Insurance Guide for Calgary. This page will give you an idea of Home Insurance Premiums in Alberta, will inform about savings opportunities and also provide number of other useful tips for chosing Home Insurance protection in Calgary. If you are interested in finding the best and affordable Home Insurance in Calgary, you can get a quote and buy an insurance policy online.
What Are Typical Home Insurance Premiums In Alberta?
The chart above illustrates the average Renters and Homeowners Insurance premiums in Alberta and other provinces including Home Insurance in Calgary. Renters insurance rates are typically lower than home owners premiums due to the nature of insurance: Renters insurance typically covers only the content of your rented property and sometimes liability. It does not cover the building itself since it is covered under the insurance property of the homeowner.
Overall consumers spend more on Home Insurance in Alberta than in most other provinces with exception of British Columbia. High insurance premiums are driven some what by rougher natural conditions and their potential impact on your dwelling.
One of the larger topics in the past years become flooding that strongly impacted Albert and Calgary in particular in 2013. Unfortunately the most insurers in Canada still do not cover overland flooding and thus we suggest to check with your insurer if these cases are typically covered.
How Can You Save on Home Insurance in Calgary?
- Change your content coverage: Do you rent an apartment or condo? You can often lower your content coverage. No need to insure your belongings to up to $250,000 if you only have a laptop and some IKEA furniture!
- Monitoring: Is there other security like a doorman or security guard on the premises? This may mean an additional discount.
- Hydrants and fire-station: Ask if your proximity to a hydrant or fire station will save you money.
- Professional Memberships: Are you a member of a professional organization such as Certified Management Accountants of Canada? Some companies offer discounts to professional members, and some organizations offer their members insurance policies. (e.g. Meloche Monnex Insurance)
- Students: Some carriers provide discounts for students. (e.g.State Farm)
- Alumni: Graduates from some Canadian universities, such as University of Toronto, McGill University and NAIT, may qualify for a discount through select providers. (e.g. TD Insurance)
- Dependent students: Dependent students living in their own apartment can be covered by their parents’ home insurance policy at no additional charge. Check with your insurer for this benefit. (e.g. Desjardins Insurance)
- Stop smoking: Some insurers increase their premiums for the homes with smokers since this means an increased risk of fire
- Direct insurers: Have you always dealt with insurance brokers or agents? Getting a policy from a direct insurer, also called a captive agent, may save you money. A captured agent only sells products from one company. (e.g. Belairdirect)
- Benchmark your costs: Use price comparison tools to know how much other companies are charging for similar policies, and check with your peer group to see if these comparisons are similar within your demographic.
- Interested in more saving tips for Home Insurance in Calgary? Get an insurance quote below and connect with an experienced insurance professional to get more tips
|Home Insurance by Province|
|Home Insurance in Alberta||Home Insurance in British Columbia||Home Insurance in Manitoba|
|Home Insurance in Ontario||Home Insurance in Saskatchewan|