Manulife Health Insurance Reviews
Best Health Insurance?
- Rates from 20+ life insurers
- Dental, Vision, Drug plans
- Can be purchased remotely
FilterMost helpfull reviews
Looking for Cheap Insurance Quotes?
Life Insurance in Your City
Life Insurance in Your Province
First of all, the staff are not knowledgable. If they decide not to pay a claim, they could give you very stupid reasons. For example, my dentist claimed on my behalf a charge that I had to pay upfront. Here is the list of the reasons Manulife staff provided to avoid reimbursing me what I paid.
1. First call, the customer service agent said that we can't pay the dentist directly - I said they don't require you to pay directly to them, you just need to reimburse me directly what I paid to them.
2. Second call to follow up: new customer service agent: it is not processed because the address on the claim is different from the address on your profile. Ok, can I update my address? No, only your employer can update your address, (this was their answer after they knew that my husband (plan holder) has quit his job) and now they wanted to make it hard on us since my husband cannot call his employer for such stupid reason. I decided to call my dentist and make them change the address on my claim to the previous one (since we still own that home but it is rented out). The dentist changed the address and now I thought it should be good. I submitted myself online.
3. Third call to follow up about the status of my "new" claim: a new customer service agent: I see a note about the address. I said: yes that was the previous claim but now the address on the claim matches the address on the profile. The agent: oh I think it's nothing to do with the address. I think you claimed this diagnosis dental exam last year and now you are not eligible for it. Well, you paid only $19 for that claim and I have a balance of $140 left. Can this cover the cost? No, since you made a claim that's it, regardless of the amount paid, you cannot claim again. And finally, I had to give up since I found it a waste of time for myself.
For everyone who is seeking to get covered. Do Not go with Manulife. And if you do, please know that you will have to pay from your pocket for insured items and you have to beg them to get your expenses covered and be ready to hear different excuses every time you call.
They don’t deserve any stars! I’ve submitted my claim 3 months ago and if I’m not the one who’s gonna call I will never hear back from them! And a while back I called them and told me that my claim was denied! What’s the sense of getting medical insurance then? Waste of money! Poor customer service! They told me that they’ll transfer me to another department but ended up - they hanged up on me. I don’t recommend this insurance company! PLEASE LOOK FOR A BETTER ONE! The one who’s worth your money.
On hold for hours at a time with no response.
Rejection of claims with no reason provided from a no-reply email.
The worst provider of company benefits on the market.
Shocking how they get away with it.
Upsetting to have to deal with this company
Client services cannot provide accurate information. I spoke to at least 5 representatives and each gave me a different answer. Twice I was told that a Supervisor would call me back. No call.
My emails were never answered. Even though it was confirmed to me that my claim was covered under my policy, it was rejected when I requested a refund. All I can say is that I'm glad that I was not trying to get information about a serious illness. I would have never had the strength to deal with this. The good thing is that I now know that I can no longer trust any information provided by client services. I am currently shopping for new insurance.
Too bad we can't state Zero stars! Supplied all information provided by Provincial Health Services and Manulife refuses payment due to "insufficient detail". All details possible were itemized on the invoice that they received. Every time I call back to try to get this revisited the person who answers the phone tries to claim they don't have the paperwork that I sent. I will continue to call and escalate - all the way to OLHI if required.
I submitted a claim for an initial physiotherapy appointment. The claim was rejected and I was asked to provide a doctor’s referral. I obtained a new referral and resubmitted the claim.
My physiotherapy claim was rejected a second time as the body part needs to be specified on the doctor’s referral. Why when I called in to see why the claim was not processed the first time was I not told that the doctor’s referral also needed to reference the body part.
It appears to me that Manulife is doing everything it can to delay paying valid claims.
In my career, I've dealt with several insurance companies and never had a complaint, but in the three years I've been with Manulife, it's been almost non-stop. Everything is a battle with this company, and when you manage to get a representative to look at your case, they give you a short window of time to mail (yes, physically mail) or fax your documents to them. Their goal seems to be to wear you down so you give up on your claim, or getting your spouse added to your plan, which was arbitrarily rejected. Most recently, they stopped covering my son's medication in full. When I inquired, it was because I wasn't getting a generic version. I asked the pharmacist about this and he stated there is no generic version of this medication. I got in touch with Manulife about this again, and they gave me two days to fax them the receipt (which the pharmacist sent them electronically...). I have no access to a fax, so here's hoping an email will work. At this point, I'm not optimistic. I've tried to straight-up cancel this insurance but there's only one week every two years I'm allowed to make changes to my plan. Time to check with HR and see if it's coming up soon.
My wife and I took out a policy 2 years ago. She asked some very specific questions and was told that it does cover certain dental work she needed when she got the work done and filed for coverage as we were told to we got denied. Manulife said it's not covered despite the paperwork we signed saying it was. They refused to cover anything, so we cancelled the policy. She called in to find out how to cancel it and went through the process on the phone with them. They kept taking money from our account for 6 months after it was cancelled. Do not go near this company. They are dishonest and don't care about you one bit.
Had minor podiatry surgery which the Doctor assured would be covered - denied. Had to have a special prescription with no substitutions - denied. They reduced the wheelchair amount from $3,500 to $800. Their website is not easy to use. Overall the cost of the monthly premiums is not worth it unless your employer is paying for them.