Life Insurance Reviews

Sun Life Life Insurance Reviews

This page has been viewed by: Please wait... consumers
(85 reviews)
Sun Life
2.2 out of 5 stars:
Customer service:
Value for Money:
Share your own experience
Write a review

Don't touch this company

by Un happy customer on Aug 5, 2018
1 out of 5 stars

Trying to claim a life insurance policy taken out by the bereaved, the family continues to struggle to get the payout. With numerous calls to the company telling us to get all signatures completed when only one executive dealing with all the finances. Also asked to provide bank details on two occasions only to be told 4 weeks later that they don't pay into your bank account but direct to the funeral directors. The way we've been treated is absolutely disgusting. None of their call operators read from the same script obviously making it up as they go along. Furthermore, what you actually contribute in payments you only get about a third back.

4 of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you?



by Steve on Mar 20, 2018
1 out of 5 stars

#1 SUN LIFE FINANCIAL INVESTMENTS; Pay attention to your investments! I learned the hard way. Sun Life has illegally been charging me a FRONT END FEE and a BACK end fee on my investments for over three years. They pull money in and out of investments just to increase their own fees they can collect. Then, when you attempt to move your funds to a different investment firm to conduct your own investments, they use DELAY TACTICS. All while your investment dwindles away to nothing. Highly frustrating and unprofessional. I requested my funds be moved over to my own financial institution that I deal with. It has been FOUR MONTHS. My bank has been fighting to get my money out of the greedy claws of Sun Life. I have been on the phone with them daily. It's supposed to take up to three weeks. Not four months. What a joke! #2 SUN LIFE INSURANCE; We asked Sun Life a simple question about their life insurance policies available at a local trade show. The lady at the trade show seemed nice enough... So we gave her our phone number. She said she would call us to answer our question later. She called us EVERY DAY for SIX MONTHS straight. Not exaggerating! We were ready to charge Sun Life with harassment as we asked them OVER and OVER again to stop calling. We even went into the office and told them we were not interested in their life insurance. There are better options out there for life insurance. They continued to harass us, attempting to use scare tactics to talk us into buying their insurance. #3 WORK-BASED BENEFITS PACKAGE; What an over-priced pile of garbage. Every company seems to make the switch over to Sun Life because they APPEAR to have lower rates. Then later find out that Sun Life actually doesn't have good coverage at all. Most of the claims that employees submit get declined or audited. Sun Life is extremely difficult to get ahold of and, if you do manage to get through to sometime, good luck understanding what they are mumbling over the phone... Other benefits packages (EG Great-West Life) offer much better packages and a painless online claim process that pays you within 72 hours. Even care suppliers will refuse to use "Direct Pay" if you have Sun Life because they are so terrible to deal with.

3 of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?


poor service

by Donna gill on Feb 26, 2018
1 out of 5 stars

This company treated us terrible when my mom died. The person on phone was rude and not helpful, even put phone down on my brother because she didn't know how to do her job. Took them months to sort out money and we had to keep ringing them up, not the other way round, and still not sorted after 12mths. I will never recommend them and wish we never went with them either. The whole process was upsetting and made our grieving more painful.

4 of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you?

Planning to get life insurance to protect your family, including children? Make sure that you get enough coverage. According to studies, it takes about $250,000 in total to raise a child to the age of 18 (and that doesn’t include any post-secondary education costs).

No good for grieving..

by lmwalters on Feb 17, 2018
1 out of 5 stars

My daughter's father passed away in May of 2017. We have been going through the run around since then. She still hasn't received her money he has left for her. I am also on there and because I am the "EX-WIFE" they won't give me my part either. I have to get my divorce paperwork and prove that the divorce decree doesn't say that it doesn't go to me for life insurance. I have sent my divorce paperwork and still nothing. I have emailed them and called them and I am getting absolutely NO RESPONSE! It is so frustrating! I think this place is a dang JOKE!

4 of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you?


Customer Service is appalling

by CMS on Dec 30, 2017
1 out of 5 stars

I had 2 life insurance policies (one company provided and an additional supplemental policy). I decided I no longer needed the supplemental policy and called mid-November to cancel it. I'd already had numerous problems with this company with billing issues on the company provided policy and had experienced months of run-around. I found the same problems in trying to cancel a policy. First of all, you have to wait forever to get thru to them on the phone. Then you are told you need to email your request, complaint, question, etc. to a generic email address. The emails go unanswered. Follow up phone calls get you nowhere. After 3 emails and a threat to complain to my state insurance board, I got a response that my request to cancel my policy was "under review!" I had prepaid for the quarter and called to cancel about 6 weeks into the quarter so expected a pro-rated refund but since they have to "review" my request, they have now dragged this out thru the quarter. Ridiculous! If I want to stop doing business with your company, what is there to "review"'s not even a claim! And now I am getting the runaround again on the remaining policy I hold with them because I want to go from quarterly payments to monthly so that when I find another policy thru another company and cancel with Sun Life I dont' lose 2 months worth of payments! There is no way to change your policy payment schedule on their website, and a call, when I finally reached a representative resulted in being told to email my request. I flat-out told the rep I refuse to go thru the email run-around again and mailed them 1 months payment with a 7 page complaint letter, including all of my unanswered email threads from previous problems. Avoid this company. I realize from the poor way they treat customers that if my family had to file a claim on my life insurance, they would be treated the same way and face months of stone-walling and being ignored!

3 of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?


Worst Company Ever

by UnhappyAndAngry on Mar 25, 2015
1 out of 5 stars

8 months now on my new job and still don't have life insurance coverage! They keep calling to tell me I'm missing "something" to finish processing my application but they cant' tell me what's missing. The sub-contractor they sent to do my physical lost some of my paperwork so they denied my coverage. Now I'm being denied due to "non-response". When I call to ask what I'm supposed to respond to, and I quote "Sir, we don't know". They denied coverage for my wife for a "medical condition", but they can't tell me what it is. She has only had a couple surgeries on her feet........ HR is trying to help but there is only so much they can do. I give up. I'm just going to tell HR to cancel my application with Sun Life so I can just go get private life insurance. It'll cost the same but I'll have much better service. Not a grain of intelligence can be claimed by any of the agents working at Sun Life! Anyone that rates better than 1 star obviously hasn't had to deal with them in any capacity yet - but you'll soon find out and be back here re-posting a new review.

3 of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?

Did you know there is a 35% chance of developing a critical illness before you are 65 and 65%-70% chance before you turn 81? That means getting a critical illness insurance quote is no less important than getting life insurance. Your choice.

Waiting for Godot?

by Waiting on Mar 28, 2014
2 out of 5 stars

You pay into a policy and then when you decide to take money out, it takes FOREVER. Should anyone have to suffer?

1. Submit the forms
2. Get the tax forms
3. Return the required forms
4. Wait -- several weeks!
5. Call their information number to find out about your check
6. Navigate through innumerable prompts
7. Service person says that there is ONLY one person who handles surrenders that involve the U.S.
8. Leave message for that person. (She is not there.)
9. Get return call from this person almost a day later. I am not in, so she leaves a message and tells me that she is about to leave for the day so will call you tomorrow.
10. Tomorrow NO call. (repeat steps 5 through 8)
11. Finally talk to right person. She has not even looked at the forms that were submitted.
12. Wait 10 days for check to be issued

Well, we hope that step 12 actually happens!

3 of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you?