What is Mortgage insurance? Mortgage insurance is an insurance that pays for your mortgage if you cannot pay due to issues such as disability critical illness. You can think about it as a purpose-linked insurance that only covers your outstanding mortgage debt to the bank. In most cases, getting a life insurance instead is a much better option.
There are numerous reasons why many financial experts recommend life insurance instead of mortgage insurance. Here is an overview of the most important things to know:
- Beneficiary: If you get mortgage insurance, the beneficiary will be the bank as opposed to life insurance where your family can be the beneficiary.
- Post-underwriting: Mortgage insurance is a post-underwriting product as opposed to life insurance, which is underwritten prior to being put in force. Post-underwriting basically means that an insurer will only check to see if you were telling the truth on your application in the case of a claim. Claims are typically very vague in their formulation, and the insurer keeps the right to decline your coverage. In case of life insurance, once you are approved for insurance, you are protected.
- Capped coverage: Mortgage insurance can have a cap, e.g. $500,000, that might be not enough to cover the mortgage. Life insurance coverage can be significantly higher.
- Switching home or banks: Life Insurance always stays with you whereas mortgage insurance can be cancelled if you change a property or bank.
- Pricing: Mortgage insurance is often more expensive than term life insurance for the identical coverage. Mortgage insurance premiums do not change even if you have almost paid off your mortgage and when there is nothing to insure. Premiums will stay the same.
- Being in great health: Mortgage insurance does not offer any benefits whereas life insurance does, and your rates can go down by additional 25%.
- Paying off the mortgage: Once your mortgage is paid off in full, your mortgage insurance is terminated whereas life insurance will stay in place.
Overall, if you decide to go for a mortgage insurance policy, you are getting a limited coverage with numerous constraints and uncertainty. Should you decide to go for a life insurance, the protection is more solid, coverage is higher, and can be used towards multiple purposes such as paying off your mortgage, outstanding loans, substitute income, and more.
Get a Home Insurance quote now. Start saving.
Our Publications related to Life Insurance
Introduction There were many articles written about men paying more for car insurance than women, but what about other insurance types? Do women always benefit from lower insurance rates? We took on this question and systematically went through various life insurance, disability insurance, and critical illness insurance by consulting with professionals who had the answers. […]
The arrival of COVID-19 has pushed Canadians, more than ever before, online for finding and applying for insurance and banking products. It is not easy, though, to make the right choice without knowing if a particular insurer will be there when you need them the most. As the largest Canadian review platform with thousands of […]
Overall, insurance is considered a somewhat boring, though necessary, topic. On top of that, it is not always clear – there are plenty of various types of life insurance products in Canada that work differently. I decided to explain it in a bit of a different and funny way – I hope that you will […]
The life insurance landscape in Canada is quite unique. The infographic below shows all the key players and their size, reflecting their assets under management (AUM) based on life and wealth segments of the company’s business. scroll further down to continue reading In Canada, the majority of insurers fall under the umbrellas of three large […]
By RateHub.ca When it comes to budgeting for your vacations, travel insurance is one of those things that’s often overlooked. It’s easy to understand why: we have publicly funded healthcare in Canada, so many people assume that benefit applies to wherever we travel in the world. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. The cost of seeking […]