Belongings and Insurance – how do they relate? Belongings are elements of your property that can be covered under your insurance policy. There are, however, several different scenarios and you need to understand in detail what’s covered and what’s not under your current or future insurance policy:
- Contents of your home: These are typical belongings that one can find in many homes. These are typically covered under standard insurance policies and there is a coverage limit for an aggregated value of your total content. Examples of standard property objects are appliances, clothing, electronics, household goods and furniture. Should you have special expensive items e.g. a wine collection, jewelry, etc., – these are often not covered under a standard insurance policy.
- Valuable objects / belongings: These are more expensive, rare items that often require an optional insurance that can be purchased in addition to a standard home insurance policy (also called insurance rider). Examples of such items are expensive furs, jewelry, objects of art, wine collections, expensive watches etc.
- Bicycles and sporting equipment: These are belongings that are often covered by a standard home insurance policy but sometimes need additional coverage. These items are covered if they were lost/damaged outside of your home (e.g. bicycle theft while you left it locked on a street).
- Belongings inside your vehicle: Often your personal belongings in a car are insured through your home insurance policy against, for example, car break-in and theft of your personal belongings.
- Interested to pay as little as $15/month for home insurance?
- Get a free quote from our partner in 10 minutes and start to save
- Include into your policy all important coverage such as e.g. sewer back up
Interested in Home Insurance?
Get a free, no-obligation quote
We compare rates from over 20 insurers to show you 3 best quotes
Get a Home Insurance quote now. Start saving.
Our Publications related to Home Insurance
The arrival of COVID-19 has pushed Canadians, more than ever before, online for finding and applying for insurance and banking products. It is not easy, though, to make the right choice without knowing if a particular insurer will be there when you need them the most. As the largest Canadian review platform with thousands of […]
A prospective buyer is always going to be focused on a condo unit’s view. Unlike a house, these units rarely have multiple windows to the outside in various directions. The exterior wall, which usually is either glass or contains a balcony, is likely the only point of contact with the natural world. While the interior […]
It’s no secret that property prices in many urban areas of Canada are on fire. And it’s not limited to just the core of Toronto and Vancouver. Houses for sale in Hamilton, for example, have doubled in price in the last decade and houses in Mississauga are almost $750,000. It’s increasingly hard for the average […]
Toronto real estate has been tumultuous in the last few years. At first, everything was going, up, up and up. Record low-interest rates made huge mortgages more attractive, and few new suburbs were developed thanks to the Greenbelt. Almost 90, 000 Newcomers were moving to Toronto each year, along with Canadians from other parts of […]
InsurEye Inc has announced the launch of a new website: CondoEssentials. The new site is a condo review platform that has been designed to better inform Canadians about real estate, with a particular emphasis on condominiums. InsurEye has been informing consumers about details of auto, life and condo insurance for years through thousands of independent […]